The Original Pesto Recipe from Genoa by “Two Greedy Italians”
The recipe for pesto sauce is one of the most famous in the World. You can find it in the markets ready to use, but it is a privilege to make it by you self in the traditional way. Here is the original recipe presented by two world’s class chefs Antonio Carluccio and Gennaro Contaldo. The pesto sauce originates form Genoa, the Liguria region in the North Italy. It can be used with various type of pasta, but also you can put in the sandwich if you prefer. In the original recipe for pesto sauce, it was made to be use with pasta called Mandilli de Sæa- silk handkerchiefs.
The main things in preparation of pesto sauce are ingredients. They should be fresh and with high quality. Never use low quality products, because pesto sauce will not have the proper taste and smell. So, let’s start….
- 2 caps of fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 small garlic cloves
- ½ cup of pine nuts (baked for 5 minutes in oven on 180°C)
- ¾ cup of shredded sheep cheese like pecorino (hard Italian cheese from ewe’s milk)
- 6 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin)
- Take the marble mortar and put the basil leaves in it. Smash them a little bit with wooden pestle.
- Add salt and after few second garlic cloves and continue to work on them with pestle.
- Add pine nuts to make the crème texture of the sauce smashing them with pestle.
- On the end add olive oil and cheese. Mix all the ingredients together.
- Put the sauce in a pan hotplate to warm, dry and fry for just a 1-2 minutes.
Let’s prepare the pasta Mandilli de Sæa ….