Irresistible Christmas Ham
- Before cooking, test the ham for salinity. If it’s too salty for you soak it in a cold water and leave it for 12 hours or put it in a pan with water and boil it.
- When ready, put the ham in a big pan, add cold water to cover. Add onion, leeks, carrot, bay leaves and pepper corns. Bring to the boil and cover with lid. Simmer for about 1 hour and 45 minutes (20 minutes per 450gr.)
- When ham is done, leave it to cool down for some time and take out of the pan carefully. You can bake immediately or keep it in a refrigerate for 2 days maximum.
- Take out the skin form cooked ham, but leave the fat.
- With the sharp knife cut the fat in cross-cross pattern.
- While oven is preheating to 220°C, prepare the glaze. Grind the coriander seed and put it in a bowl. Add sugars and orange zest. Mustard sift directly on ham. Than sift the sugar mixture over it. Work it with a hand to “glue” glaze on a ham.
- Push cloves into a ham and drizzle with honey.
- Prepared ham place in the pan, cover with foil, secure with toothpicks and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until the glaze become crispy.
- Serve hot or cold.
Tip: don’t throw away the liquid in which ham was cooked. You can use it for a soups or as a stock.
Tip: don’t over-eat.