Debt And Financial Stress Affects Health In Different Ways
There are many different ways in which financial stress and debt may affect your health. These health issues may in turn affect your life, your home as well as your career. You may feel that it is next to impossible to turn things around in your way ever. In such situations of duress due to stress you should waste no time in consulting your physician.
There are typically, two most common effects of financial difficulty and debt stress. These are anxiety and depression and both of these go hand in hand. Each of these conditions will have almost similar debilitating conditions such as:
- It will make it hard for you to focus at your work
- It will create problems when you try to keep up with your bills
- You will note even find time or energy to be with your family and
- You will find yourself shirking and missing your financial responsibilities.
The end result of stress that may be a result of having too many credit card debts, medical bills to pay and college loan payments, can weigh you down causing severe anxiety and depression.
Different signs of anxiety and depression
When you fall behind financially and feel hopeless and discouraged, you will worry constantly and have poor concentration. Apart from that, there are a few specific signs that you may notice when it comes to anxiety and depression.
- Anxiety can manifest in different ways but the most common sign of it is having panic attacks. This is an unusual feeling that you will experience. You will feel that something terrible is going to happen and the situation is inescapable. This will bring in a sense of doom impending and growing showing no signs of going away or subsiding. Feeling of anxiety can be both mental as well as physical. Sometimes you may be in the throes of such panic attacks but there may be times when you may experience unwanted thoughts racing in your mind and sweat at the thought of it profusely.
- Depression on the other hand, goes beyond just the general feelings of doubt and sadness. The physical and mental indications associated with depression may be different and includes loss of sleep and appetite, a lack of interest in life’s activities, and in your risk taking behavior. Depression is that feeling when you get after the demise of your loved ones or after divorce when you have to support your household and take on the financial burden on your shoulders with your only income.
Never take the signs of depression and anxiety lightly as that can be very unfortunate for you and cause a lot of personal and financial problems.
Come above the common misconception
According to research, most people think that stress is something that is in the head. Well, this is a very common misconception that you stay clear of.
- Stress is actually your inherent physiologic response when you anticipate a threat.
- When you feel extremely stressed out, biologically your body will enter into the ‘fight or flight’ mode.
- The adrenaline hormone that increases pulse and heart rate along with blood pressure will race through the veins throughout a stress reaction.
It depends on you how you want to use this adrenaline whether to fight through the present situation or run away from it. Such physical responses will occur inside your body during a stressful situation irrespective of the cause of it.
Other conditions caused
This stress will affect your body drastically lead to several severe health issues, most of which you will hardly aware of. It is therefore necessary to pay attention to the signs and symptoms that your body will continually send to you. There are lots of other medical conditions apart from the obvious stress effects that will be worsened due to your financial difficulty and debt such as:
- Heart disease
- Heart attack
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Weight gain
- Weight loss
- Eating disorders
- High blood pressure and even
- Substance abuse.
The best you can do to prevent such severe medical conditions is to pat off your debt diligently on time. If you find even the slightest of difficulties in doing so, you must talk to a debt advisor to know about the different relief options and other ways to get rid of your debt. They will formulate the best plan to manage your debt so that you can save enough to repay it given your present income and expenses. However, there are a few things that you should remember at this point.
- No matter whomever you work with just make sure the company has high debt settlement or debt consolidation ratings. This will ensure that you as well as your debt management plans move towards the right direction.
- Another important thing to remember if you seriously want to stay away from debt and eliminate the chances of it affecting your health is that you should never let yourself to succumb to financial stress when you see these signs of depression and anxiety or any other illness.
This is because you will make the financial as well as your health situation worse making it more difficult for you to find another job very quickly, if at all. On the other hand, if you are focused on your debt as well as your debt you will be able to find a job faster as you will interview much better having more confidence and a clear head.
Therefore, instead of the ‘flight’ mode, try the most positive method of using the ‘fight’ mode. You can do this in several ways such as:
- Signing up with unemployment services if cannot find new employment easily
- Taking some time out to tidy up your resume and
- Spending a few hours each week for searching new and better prospects.
It is a long and hard road you will take when you want to deal with stress irrespective of the situation. However, if you let that stress loom over your head you will not be able to find and conquer whatever that may be causing such financial stress. Therefore, be proactive.