5 Most Effective Ways Get Rid of Unwanted Hair
Although it’s quite normal to have some hair all over your body, having it on visible areas like arms, legs, face and back can seriously undermine a woman’s self-esteem. There are various cosmetic techniques that remove unwanted hair successfully, including waxing, laser hair removal, and electrolysis, but these can be unaffordable to some. Plus, these cosmetic procedures are more painful and aggressive and can lead to swelling, redness, and scarring of the skin. Skin discoloration, especially noticeable in people with dark skin, is another potential side effect of electrolysis.
Luckily, there are some natural hair removal treatments that will not only save you lots of money, but will also give you the same, if not better long-term effects. In addition, these homemade hair removal remedies are milder to the skin and cause no side effects.
Patience is crucial when trying these natural home remedies because they take longer to give permanent results. On the plus side, there are no chemicals involved and you will be able to enjoy the results without experiencing any undesirable effects. Apart from being easy to prepare, they won’t cost you a thing as you probably already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen.
The home remedies offered here are the most effective ways to permanently get rid of unwanted hair on your body.
5 Most Effective Ways to Permanently Get Rid of Unwanted Hair
1# Sugar-Lemon Mix to Remove Facial Hair
Owing to its grainy texture, sugar mixed with water makes an excellent exfoliating agent whereas lemon juice acts as an astringent which provides natural bleach to your face. This combination effectively removes hair on your face. However, be careful not to use it on sensitive parts.
- 2 tbsps. sugar
- 10 tbsps. water
- 2 tsps. lemon juice
- a small bowl
- Mix all the ingredients in the small bowl.
- Sugar will dissolve, but not completely, which gives the mixture a granular effect.
- Apply this on your face in the direction of hair growth.
- Leave it act for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rub gently while rinsing it off with water.
- Do the treatment 2-3 times and your facial hair will significantly reduce in a few weeks.
2# Sugar, Honey and Lemon Mixture for Hair on Legs and Arms
The combination of sugar, lemon and water is an excellent facial hair removal. If you add honey to this, you’ll get a good homemade wax to remove unwanted hair from your other body parts such as your arms and legs. As this is quite similar to waxing, be prepared for a little pain during the procedure.
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. organic honey
- 1-2 tsp. cornstarch or plain flour
- a piece of cloth or waxing strip
- a vessel (to heat)
- a waxing spatula or a butter knife
- some water – optional, in case you need to dilute the paste
- Mix the sugar, lemon and honey in a small bowl.
- Heat the mixture for 3 minutes to get a smooth paste. You can also use the microwave for this.
- If the paste is getting too thick, add some water to thin it. Mix well.
- Let the mixture cool at room temperature.
- Using cornstarch or plain flour, dust the body parts you’ll remove hair from.
- Using the waxing spatula or butter knife, spread a thin layer of this warm mixture on the areas where you want to remove hair from. Apply in the direction of hair growth.
- As soon as you start finish spreading the paste, cover it with a cloth or waxing strip. Press to stick it to the paste.
- Pull in the opposite direction of hair growth to effectively remove unwanted hair.
- Do this whenever you notice unwanted hair on your arms or legs.
3# Egg Mask Facial Hair Removal
In terms of stickiness, egg white is very much like sugar, lemon and honey mask. It dries quickly on your face so when you pull it off, you successfully remove the unwanted hair off your face. This may be slightly painful though.
- egg white of one egg
- ½ tbsp. corn flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- a bowl for mixing
- In a bowl, mix the sugar and corn flour with the egg white to get a smooth paste.
- Apply this egg mask on your face and let it dry for about 20 to 25 minutes.
- As soon as it dries, it becomes a thin mask on your face.
- Peel off the egg mask with a firm hand so that the facial hair is pulled out as well. Be cautious not to hurt yourself when pulling.
- Apply this treatment 2-3 times a week to remove facial hair completely.
4# Raw Papaya for Unwanted Hair Removal
Raw papaya is rich in papain, one of its active enzymes, which can inhibit hair growth by breaking down the hair follicle where the hair grows from. This treatment has many benefits – it makes your fine hair less visible, it exfoliates your skin naturally and it improves your skin texture. Plus, papaya is suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin. There are 2 ways to use raw papaya to get rid of your unwanted hair permanently.
- 1 raw papaya
- ½ turmeric powder
- Peel the papaya, slice it and grind it to make a paste.
- Mix the turmeric powder with 2 tablespoons of this raw papaya paste.
- Apply this mixture on your face or legs and massage for 15-20 minutes.
- Wash off with water.
- Repeat the treatment once or twice a week.
- 1 tbsp. papaya paste or powder
- ¼ tbsp. Gram flour
- 4 tbsps. Aloe Vera gel
- 2 tbsps. mustard oil
- ¼ tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 drops of any essential oil (lavender)
- 1 tsp. olive oil or any moisturizer
- clean and dry cloth
- Make a thick paste combining papaya paste, gram flour, Aloe Vera gel, turmeric powder, mustard oil and essential oil.
- Apply this paste to the body part with unwanted hair in opposite direction of hair growth.
- Leave it until it dries off for 15-20 minutes.
- Using a clean cloth, remove the dried paste by rubbing in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Once all the paste has been removed, wash it off with water and pat dry.
- Massage your skin with a few drops of olive oil or moisturizer.
- Do the treatment 3-4 times a week for at least 3 months to get permanent results.
5# Turmeric for Unwanted Hair Removal
Besides having antibacterial and antiseptic properties, turmeric is also efficient in preventing hair growth. In fact, the Indians have been using it for centuries to treat various skin issues and to improve skin quality in general. This spice can be used with many ingredients to remove unwanted hair; however, the remedy offered here only uses water or milk.
- 1-2 tsp. turmeric (increase the amount if you need to cover a larger area of your body)
- water or milk (enough to make paste)
- Make a paste by mixing turmeric powder in some water or milk. The paste should be tight enough to stay on your face, but not too tight.
- Apply this to your face and let it act for 15-20 minutes or until it dries up.
- Rinse it off with warm water.
This remedy is more suitable for those who have very little hair on face or other body parts. But, in case you have thicker hair, you should use turmeric in combination with any of the following – gram flour, rice flour or ground oats along with milk.
Tips for Unwanted Hair Removal at Home
There are some useful tips you can follow if you want to get better results when trying to get rid of unwanted hair on your body. The first and most important thing is patience. These home treatments may take longer for permanent results; however they’re all natural and free of chemicals, which means they don’t trigger any undesired effects and are completely safe for your skin.
The second most important thing is to have a steam bath before using any of the hair removal remedies as this will open up your skin pores thus alleviating hair removal.
The next thing you should bear in mind is washing the area properly after doing the treatment in order to keep your skin clean and prevent any infections.
However, if you experience unusual hair growth on your body accompanied with other features like reduced breast size, deepening of voice and increased muscle mass, it’s highly recommended to consult a specialist as you may be suffering from hormonal imbalance.